Wednesday, March 6, 2013

Moon Towers?

Being an astronomy enthusiast I am very aware of the light pollution coming fro urbanized parts of the world. Having been to Yellowstone National Park in Wyoming and the top of Haleakela on Maui I have seen what truly dark skies look like.

I just came across this article on "The Atlantic" about Moon Towers that were erected in many cities during the late 1800's including the city of Aurora, Illinois which had six towers and is not far from my home.



The moon towers were 150 to 300 feet tall with clusters of carbon arc lamps at the top.

I am glad this idea didn't survive for long, light pollution is bad enough with out moon towers lighting up the sky.


The article does note that Austin, Texas still has some moon towers although the carbon arcs were replaced with mercury vapor lamps.

No comments:

Post a Comment